Friday, November 6, 2020

Altar review

 Altar review: Resilience in the face of adversity and COVID-19


Making a digital altar with my hardworking group was overall a great experience. I am Mexican and growing up I had always heard about the Day of the Dead, but never celebrated because it wasn’t a popular event to celebrate where my parents grew up in Mexico. However, I’m glad I have been given the opportunity to learn about this important event, and was able to virtually participate this year. I feel like I’m closer with my culture in a way, and who knows maybe in the future I will have my kids celebrate this holiday because of the powerful message that can be presented by making the altar/ofrenda. As I was looking through the altar/ofrendas my classmates made I was very impressed by all their hard work and the overall powerful message that their altar presented. One altar in particular that caught my attention is the altar about Resilience in the face of adversity and COVID-19”. This altar piqued my curiosity because it reminded me about the article we read in class about how COVID is unfortunately attacking the Latinx community at a higher rate than other communities. I also thought it was unique how this group showed a Photo of both Vilma's Great Grandfather and Daniela's Great Grandmother and Father. I felt like this made the altar more personal, and can help the audience relate to this altar more. Having the focus of the altar be around something that is so current like COVID in my opinion is very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazmin Higuera Banos (Flash Presentation Folklorico Baile)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fjKzZEKtvNhx3KMwNa4rYT4b0rkMYzWtKNaDNZ4GYhw/edit