Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Dia de los Muertos at El Centro review

The show that El Centro de la Raza put on this year was very fun to watch. I enjoyed listening to the little kids choir and thought that it was nice that they are learning about this beautiful celebration from such a young age. Francisca Garcia's altar stood out to me because of the way her set up was made. She was one of my interviewees for my groups podcast and seeing her ofrenda helped me better understand everything we talked about. It was very nice that a few people's ofrendas not only had pictures of their loved ones, but they also included people who have passed away because of COVID 19, at detention centers, crossing the border as well as Black lives who have been lost against police brutality. Claudia Luna Castro's ofrenda was also one that was nice to look at because she stated that she changes the way her ofrenda looks every year depending on what is happening that year. Overall, all of the ofrendas were very nice and I really liked how there was even a small part where an art exhibit was mentioned and briefly talked about. 

1 comment:

  1. Shea Bray
    Watching the Dia De Los Muertos presentation live on youtube was so fun and engaging! I really enjoyed the explanation of the altar that was shared in the video. The m=amount of people that were represented in the Altar was amazing as well as the representation and symbolism of the children and people lost at the boarder. This resonated with me because of how that tied with my groups own altar theme of remembering children in the ICE detention centers. I thought the presentation was engaging and beautiful and loved to see the children getting involved and learning about Dia De Los muertos.

    ReplyDelete

Jazmin Higuera Banos (Flash Presentation Folklorico Baile)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fjKzZEKtvNhx3KMwNa4rYT4b0rkMYzWtKNaDNZ4GYhw/edit